Safeguarding Children for Charities Conference
- 18 February 2021
£249.99 + VAT
(Book before 14th August to secure your early bird discount!)
Passionate, interesting and knowledgable speakers.
Assistant Legal Counsel, The Salvation Army
An essential update on all the latest regulatory framework
All charities need to ensure that their child safeguarding measures are current, understood by everyone in their organisation and fully compliant.
Given how fundamental a child-centred approach to safeguarding is, the Safeguarding Children for Charities Conference could not come at a better time. Designed to help you understand key safeguarding issues as well as gain new ideas on approaching common challenges, this must-attend conference also provides great opportunities to ask questions and network with peers.
- The legal landscape and meeting your responsibilities – key changes and updates, and looking at the different guidance and regulations charities must comply with.
- Developing a safeguarding policy – what to include in a policy, aligning the purpose and scope with the ethical values of the charity and the responsibility of managing sensitive information.
- The weakest link – risk management and assessment – what are the common pitfalls in managing risks that nearly half of charities are failing at? Are you properly identify and reporting those risks?
- Conducting a safeguarding audit – how to evaluate your current measures, conduct an investigation and use that feedback to make change
- Reporting and responding to incidents and welfare concerns – the right processes and measures to take when reporting or looking into a concern of the abuse of a child or young person.
- Safeguarding and the HR function – how do you attract the right candidates, and are you facilitating safe recruitment processes? Is your training adequate and appropriate for safeguarding measures?
- Registration and refreshments
- Chairperson’s introduction
The legal landscape and meeting your responsibilities
- Changes to the scope of safeguarding and your duty of care
- What is the latest guidance from the Charity Commission?
- Understanding the current legislative framework and your requirements
- Multi-agency working and improving responses
Developing your safeguarding policy
- Understanding the purpose and scope of your policy
- Developing your policy each year and using feedback for continuous improvement
- Ensuring your policy is in line with the ethical values of the charity
- The responsibilities for managing sensitive information
- Refreshment break
The weakest link – risk management and assessment
- Types of risks: physical, psychological and environmental
- What are the common pitfalls in managing risks?
- How do you identify, record and monitor risks?
- Reports, risk registers annual reports
Conducting a safeguarding audit
- Evaluating your current safeguarding measures
- Assessing all areas, including governance, policy, legal position
- Conducting an enquiry into your safeguarding procedures
- Using feedback to create lasting improvements
Reporting and responding to incidents and welfare concerns
- How to report an incident or concern of the abuse of a child or young person
- Responding and handling abuse allegations and conducting an investigation
- Whistleblowers – active support and procedures
- Providing support for victims and families
Safeguarding and the HR function
- Safe recruitment processes
- How do you attract the right candidates?
- DBS check – why you need them and what are they for?
- What constitutes adequate and regular safeguarding training for your staff?
- End of conference