Good governance in charities directly leads to its success – whilst ensuring that it is not only compliant with regulations and code, it’s also a guide to meeting the goals and vision of the charity.
However, governance can be tricky to get right: are you covering all your bases?
The Charity Governance Online Certificate has been designed to explore best practice for effectively leading a charity, looking at how to overcome challenges and drive a sustainable future.
This training will also look at how you can develop and improve your charity governance practices as you grow and reach your goals, such as reviewing and amending governance documents, handling disputes and how to amend governing documents in line with charity law.
The fully online course will provide a comprehensive review of governance, incorporating all elements laid out by the charity code, but also using expert advice from our trainer on how to practically implement this into your charity.
- Get up to date with the legislative and regulatory framework surrounding charity governance and ensure you are fully compliant with the code
- How to hold effective board meetings and formatting discussions
- Understanding the roles of the board and the responsibilities of the trustees
- Continuously developing your board as your charity grows and your goals change
- How to handle trustee disputes and concerns
- Reviewing and amending governance documents whilst complying with charity law
How does it work?
The fully online course is delivered via our specialist learning platform – each module will consist of training videos, written materials, downloadable templates, examples and tools, and a test at the end to check your learning.
Designed for flexible learning it means you can work at your own pace and in your own time, and with a year’s access you can keep going back to refresh your knowledge.
We estimate that each module should take around 2-4 hours learning time depending on time spent reading and note-taking.
- Module One:
Introduction to Charity Governance
- What is charity governance?
- Understanding the charity vision
- Complying with the law and regulations
- The importance of accountability, diversity and strong leadership
- Module Two:
- What happens at a board meeting?
- Building a comprehensive agenda
- Formatting discussions
- Top tips for virtual board meetings
- Module Three:
Board Structure, Roles and Responsibilities
- The role of the board
- The responsibilities of trustees
- Structuring and evolving the board
- Communication and managing tensions
- Module Four:
Improving and Developing Governance
- Conducting governance reviews
- Handling trustee disputes and seeking mediation
- Reviewing governance documents in line with charity law
- Developing board skills and qualities