The implications of Covid-19 on schools and their staff, students and parents have been wide ranging and significant. Schools have had to change their ways of working, as well as their physical operations and environments in order to ensure the safety and security of all.
So what is the role of HR in mitigating the long-term impact of the pandemic, and supporting staff and pupils in getting things back on track?
The HR in Schools Conference is designed to help you navigate this unique and complex situation, as well as the more regular school issues and your responsibilities, equipping you with the tools and knowledge you need to meet your school’s employee management and compliance needs.
The conference will provide you with up-to-date guidance on relevant employment law and school-specific legislation and regulations, as well as examine key issues facing HR professionals in schools today – including staff well-being and mental health, stress and workloads, and teacher recruitment and retention.
Please note: this conference will now be taking place online.
What’s on the agenda?
- An update on key aspects of employment law that apply to school staff and latest education legislation
- Recruitment and workforce planning – including addressing staff shortages, safer recruitment, staff restructuring and managing change
- Performance management and development – engagement and productivity, supporting and monitoring the performance management process, and keeping up-to-date with latest training programmes for staff
- Staff well-being – understanding the impact of Covid-19 on current staff mental health and well-being; and looking at other key issues including stress and workload
- Discipline, dismissals and claims – best practice policies and procedures, managing allegations and employment tribunals
The conference will be delivered online via a conference platform. Delegates will be able to take part in the discussion and interact with their peers.
Delegates will also be provided with the day’s presentations and recording after the event, therefore if you can’t attend the whole day, you can catch up afterwards!
Employment law in schools update – the essentials
- Lee Jefcott
- What have been the employment law implications of Covid-19?
- Key education legislation and regulations
- Terms and conditions that apply to school staff
- The Equality Act in Schools
- Employment contracts
- Refreshments and networking
Recruitment and workforce planning
- Andrew Blench
- Effective recruitment and selection
- Safer recruitment and pre-employment checks
- Inductions, onboarding and probation periods
- Managing staff restructuring and redundancies
Staff performance management and development
- Performance reviews and measuring individual success
- Underperformance and support plans
- Employee engagement – best practice guidance and tips
- CPD requirements, training and development
- Lunch and networking
Staff welfare, mental health and wellbeing– the role of HR
- Nickii Messer
- Assessing the impact of Covid-19
- Workload and the implications on wellbeing
- Identifying other internal factors which could impact mental health
- Encouraging healthy behaviours and best-practice wellbeing initiatives
- Putting in place accessible support mechanisms
Employee relations: discipline, dismissals and claims
- Ben Wood
- Monitoring and investigating staff conduct
- Discipline and grievance – managing allegations
- Handling suspensions and dismissals – including notice periods
- Employment tribunals – understanding and responding to claims, settlements and recent case law examples
- Close of conference