The role of the Headteacher is demanding, complex and challenging. It is also rewarding, inspirational and unique.
Make sure you know how to make the most out of your position, and effectively and proactively manage the challenges.
The course will provide guidance and advice for leading your school and getting the best from your staff, pupils and the wider community, as well as explore what makes a good leader and how you can develop your skills and build a productive and motivated team.
The course will also consider how you can best support your staff’s and your own wellbeing – assessing key and unique challenges, tackling workplace stress, and how you can lead by example.
Further modules will explore best practice approaches for school improvement, and provide practical guidance on how you can lead your school’s continuous development process, support innovation in your team, and deliver the biggest impact and the best outcomes.
***Please note: this course will be launching in November and is available for pre-order now***
Why this course?
- Evaluating the role of the Headship in the 21st Century
- Developing your leadership skills – assessing different styles, and what attributes, behaviours and tools make a great leader
- Building a strong leadership team – developing, motivating and utilising your team
- Promoting positive wellbeing for yourself and your staff – addressing key challenges such as workload, exam pressures and workplace stress
- Embedding a culture of continuous school improvement and investing in long-term planning
How does it work?
The course is fully online and designed for flexible, independent learning – you will have a year’s access to the course so you can learn at your own pace, and at times which suit you.
Delivered via our specialist online learning platform UNIQSKILLS, the course consists of training videos, written and downloadable materials, and a test at the end of each module to check your learning.
- Module One:
Defining and establishing your role as Headteacher
- How has the role of Headteacher and the educational landscape changed?
- Moving from senior leadership into the headship
- Unique challenges of the Head
- Accountability and responsibility
- Developing your relationship with the Governing body
- Module Two:
Setting a high standard of leadership
- What leadership style works for you?
- What behaviours and attributes make a good leader?
- Visibility and leading the school community
- Empathy and emotional intelligence
- Communicating across levels and stakeholders
- Module Three:
Team building and effective staff management
- Building your SLT and organisational structures
- Working effectively with your Deputy
- Staff engagement and motivation
- Best practice performance management
- Developing the next generation of leaders
- Module Four:
Looking after your wellbeing and your staff’s wellbeing
- Mitigating the isolation of the Head’s role
- What approaches can support wellbeing?
- Workload management
- Leading by example – work/ life balance
- Tackling stress and anxiety
- Module Five:
Committing to, and enacting, continuous school improvement
- Determining your priorities, values and aims
- The importance of long-term planning
- Working together to improve: whole school and collaborative approaches
- Using the inspection process to inform and drive development
- Making the most out of your funding