Launching November 2020
Most people are now aware of Autism, or have at least heard of it. This course provides a general introduction to autism looking at spectrum looking at the history of understanding autism and the latest research as well as the main characteristics and how we currently support Autism. This course is perfect for anyone who wants to develop their understanding of autism for personal or professional reasons.
**Please note: access to the course will not be granted until payment has been made.**
- What is Autism?
- Diagnosing Autism
- Autism in daily life
- Supporting Autism
How does it work?
The course is fully online and designed for flexible, independent learning – you will have a year’s access to the course so you can learn at your own pace, and at times which suit you.
Delivered via our specialist online learning platform UNIQSKILLS, the course consists of training videos, written and downloadable materials, and a test at the end of each module to check your learning.
- Module 1:
What is Autism?
- What is the history of Autism?
- What are the main characteristics of Autism?
- Autism and neurotypical/neurodiverse
- Genetics of autism
- Why is autism a spectrum
- Common terminology & alternative names
- Module 2:
- How important is diagnosis
- How diagnosis is made
- DSM-5 & ICD-10 Criteria
- What does autism feel like
- Autism in females
- Module 3:
Autism in daily life
- Executive function skills
- Social communication and social interaction characteristics
- Repetitive and restrictive behaviour
- Highly focused interests or hobbies
- Sensory Sensitivities
- Autism & mental health
- Module 4:
- Interventions & evaluating evidence:
- Applied behavioural analysis
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Pre-school Autism Communication Therapy (PACT)
- Supporting within family life
- Supporting within education
- Autism in adulthood