We all know that Attendance Officers have a large amount of responsibility, but with the expectation often being you’ll find your way through, support and training is not always readily available.
That’s why we’ve been successfully running the School Attendance Officer Certificate for many years. It’s extensive, CPD-accredited training that helps those responsible for improving attendance and punctuality, engaging with families and devising effective attendance strategies, have the tools they need to excel in their role!
How it works:
It consists of a one-day workshop, four-week training course and assessed audit tool – all CPD-certified.
- Attend a one-day training workshop: to work through a detailed agenda, meet with colleagues and ask the questions that are pertinent to you.
- . Four-module reading programme: which you can download after the initial day, prepared by our expert tutor. Each module will contain further information, key learning points and questions for reflection in order for you to write your responses.
- Complete your tailored in-school audit tool and have it assessed by an expert: following the workshop and reading modules, you will be equipped with all the knowledge you need to complete your audit tool. Once you’ve finished, simply send it off to our expert to receive feedback.
- We will issue you with a Certificate of Specialist Competence: this demonstrates to Ofsted and other authorities that you have taken advanced school attendance officer training.
- Part 1:
- 09.00 - 09.30
- Registration and refreshment drinks
- 09.30 - 10.45
The law on school attendance and its implications
- Education Act 1996
- Children Act 1989
- Education (Pupil Registration) Regulations 2006
- Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003
- 10.45 - 11.00
- Refreshment drinks and networking
- 11.00 - 12.30
Effective registration and data management
- Managing registration
- The codes and their statistical meaning
- Term-time leave and ‘exceptional circumstances’
- Authorised, unauthorised and persistant absence
- Published data requirements
- A ‘model’ school policy
- 12.30 - 13.15
- Lunch and networking
- 13.15 - 14.00
Evidencing inspection standards
- The Ofsted framework and grade descriptors
- Understanding your school’s absence
- Ensuring schools procedures are recognised in an inspection
- Focusing on ‘evidence and impact’
- 14.00 - 15.00
Getting the job done
- Attendance tactics and ideas
- Skills in managing attendance and absence
- Working with the local authority and other partners
- Further reading and the in-school audit tool
- End of workshop
- Part 2
Post-event email training
Each module contains reading materials, key learning points and questions for reflection. These modules also reflect the recent judgement on the Isle of Wight term-time leave case.
- Module 1
- Law and guidance on school attendance
- Module 2
- Effective registration and data management
- Module 3
- The Ofsted inspection framework and attendance
- Module 4
- Getting the job done - improving school attendance
- Part 3
Complete your tailored in-school audit
Return your completed audit tool back to us by the 10th December 2019 and receive feedback from our expert speaker and author.
- Part 4
School Attendance Officer Certificate
Your specialist certificate of competence will be sent out to you in the post.
For partnership opportunities, please contact Jessica Musetti on 07539 926 835 or email Jessica.Musetti@forumbusinessmedia.co.uk