The finance function in charities has changed over recent years with growing responsibilities and accountability. The Finance Essentials for Charities Course has been specially designed to support finance professionals and charity leaders with this increasing remit, and help drive sustainable finance strategies and decision-making.
The fully online course will provide an essential policy, legal and regulatory update – offering insight into the Government and the Charity Commission’s latest requirements and guidance to ensure you are fully compliant.
It will also explore how the finance function has developed – looking at its role in strategic decision-making, business planning and fulfilling your organisation’s mission statement – as well as how to improve efficiency and ensure your report stands out from the crowd.
Further modules will provide expert guidance on best practice for risk management – including identifying, preventing and managing risk – and embedding effective internal financial controls, as well as examine latest thinking on how to actively prevent fraud and protect resources.
Learning objectives and how does it work?
- Get up to date with the legislative and regulatory framework surrounding charity finance and ensure you are fully compliant
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness across the finance function
- Drive sustainable and successful decision-making and business planning
- Explore best practice to ensure your risk management systems and processes are robust and effective
- Gain valuable advice on mitigating unknown risks and handling disruption
- Examine the growing issue of fraud and what practical steps you can take to tackle it in your organisation
How does it work?
The fully online course is delivered via our specialist learning platform UNIQSKILLS – each module will consist of training videos, written materials and a test at the end to check your learning.
The course is designed for independent, flexible learning so you can learn at your own pace, in your own time. And with a year’s access, you can keep going back to refresh your knowledge!
- Module 1:
The growing finance function – strategy, planning and efficiency
- How has the finance function changed?
- Strategy and effective decision making
- Business planning and sustainability
- Top tips for improving efficiency
- Making your reports stand out
- Module 2:
Charity Finance - policy, regulation and compliance
- Current charity finance public policy
- Your legal requirements and regulatory responsibilities
- Latest Charity Commission guidance
- An up-to-date tax and VAT guide
- Module 3
Financial controls and risk management
- Best practice risk managment systems and processes
- Embedding robust internal financial controls
- Mitigating unknown risks
- Responding to and handling disruption
- Active measures to tackle fraud and better protect your resources
Head of Operations and Development, Chab Dai UK“Thank you for making this course so interesting! I have 20+ years as a HR/Recruitment professional and always found finances daunting, especially Charity finance but this was just so informative - I feel it has really enhanced by learning and a desire to create a comprehensive risk register asap! Thanks again David!”